The problems started after I arrived at a new job - the computers were super locked down and they had Office 2010. I had problems installing the addin and even when it was working there was no 'Explode..' option on the right-click context menu - my main way of accessing it. I also couldn't click outside the window when it was running, most inconvenient. I eventually got used to using the ribbon shortcut but then I ran into more trouble.
I got myself a new laptop, this one was a vast improvement on the brick I had before - everything ran super quick, however it had one major issue - it had Office 2015 64bit installed. I could get the addin installed but it wouldn't run. I spend an age tweaking the security and trusted location settings to no avail.
It was then I got thinking, I know that it had been discontinued some years ago but did I have the latest version installed, the quick answer was NO! My mistake - not following my own blog posting, Checking against the version I had on my home PC I had downloaded it from a different website and had the 2002 edition not the 'latest' 2008 version. Dumb-ass.
So to sum up: